[b-greek] Re: Principal Parts---PDF Files

From: Rodney J. Decker (rdecker@bbc.edu)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 07:27:14 EST

<x-flowed>

>At 06:08 PM 12/9/00 +0000, you wrote:
>I must say I am surprised to find that Rod chose not to format his file
>with even this latter minimal addition. I've just had an off-list message
>from a b-greeker who doesn't have the Mounce font, and cannot read this
>most useful little aid.
>
>As Carl pointed out, the Mounce font is no longer available on the Teknia

All Rod can say is that the Mounce font will not embed. (If anyone has done
so successfully, please let me know.)

Bill Mounce is aware of the problem; he uses an older version of
Fontographer to create his fonts. Apparently newer font structures have
added a "Do not embed" flag--and older fonts without out are read as "Do
not embed." The Graeca font (&, I presume, other fonts from Linguists
Software) will also not embed in the True Type version--though the
Postscript version *will* embed. (I'd guess that Postscript fonts may not
have this flag--or at least the L.S. missed setting it on my copy!)

There is a major problem with our Greek font situation. There have been
some major litigation threats over Greek fonts (believe it or not!). A
certain publisher thinks they own the Greek font business and has put legal
pressure on others. I'm in a quandary because I have 15 years of Greek
documents/data in that font and it's an enormous task to reformat to a
different font. (Perhaps this is exactly what this publisher wants!) The
Mounce font is not yet well polished for publication work, etc.
(particularly kerning, though Bill is working on it as he has time). Other
fonts are so very different in key mapping that it is a major chore.

And one correction: the Mounce font *is* still available:
<http://www.teknia.com/tekniasoftware/fonts/index.html>. The Mac version is
a separate file; to get the Windows font I think you'll have to download
one of Bill's programs, but get it you can. While you're there, you might
also want to read Bill Mounce's comments regarding the "Standard Font
Mapping Initiative" (linked at the above URL). The "limited and restricted
license" wording at this URL is, BTW, a direct result of Zondervan and Bill
Mounce being threatened with legal action by the "other party." The out of
court settlement agreed to add such wording, though I suspect that you can
figure out what effort either Z. or M. will bother to exert in this regard! :)

Rodney J. Decker, Th.D. Baptist Bible Seminary
Assoc. Prof./NT PO Box 800, Clarks Summit, PA 18411
rdecker@bbc.edu http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/
XNS Universal Address: =RodDecker
The *Resources for NT Study* site is accessible at:
http://faculty.bbc.edu/rdecker/rd_rsrc.htm