[b-greek] ellipsis in Rom 3.8

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 20:22:31 EST

Hi everyone:

Rom 3.8: KAI MH KAQWS BLASFHMOUMEQA KAI KAQWS FASIN TINES hHMAS LEGEIN hOTI
POIHSWMEN TA KAKA hINA ELQHi TA AGAQA;

Help! In diagramming this sentence I have the conjunction, the comparative
clauses, the object clause (indirect discourse) of FASIN (hHMAS LEGEIN), and
the object clause (indirect discourse) introduced by hOTI along with its
subordinate clause (purpose) introduced by hINA. So I have a conjunction and
two constructions, leaving a very lonely MH begging to be part of the
diagram. It is clear that there is an ellipsis, and it seems that there must
be a speaking verb to which the hOTI clause is the object, but it also seems
that there may be more than just a verb needed to help this all make sense.
Does anyone have any ideas as to the elliptical word or words needed? And
what mood must the elliptical verb be? Does it need an adverbial modifier
such as TI? Finally, are the comparative clauses parenthetical, as some
translations would seem to indicate?

Steve