[b-greek] ellipsis in Rom 3.8

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 21:07:09 EST

Steve asked:

> Rom 3.8: KAI MH KAQWS BLASFHMOUMEQA KAI KAQWS
> FASIN TINES hHMAS LEGEIN hOTI
> POIHSWMEN TA KAKA hINA ELQHi TA AGAQA;
>
> Help! In diagramming this sentence I have the conjunction, the comparative
> clauses, the object clause (indirect discourse) of FASIN (hHMAS LEGEIN),
and
> the object clause (indirect discourse) introduced by hOTI along with its
> subordinate clause (purpose) introduced by hINA. So I have a conjunction
and
> two constructions, leaving a very lonely MH begging to be part of the
> diagram. It is clear that there is an ellipsis, and it seems that there
must
> be a speaking verb to which the hOTI clause is the object, but it also
seems
> that there may be more than just a verb needed to help this all make
sense.
> Does anyone have any ideas as to the elliptical word or words needed? And
> what mood must the elliptical verb be? Does it need an adverbial modifier
> such as TI? Finally, are the comparative clauses parenthetical, as some
> translations would seem to indicate?

According to the book "An Index of Implicit Information in Acts-Revelation,"
by Ellis Deibler, (publisher, SIL, website: www.sil.org, see the available
books section), p. 36, Rom. 3:8 has a missing expressed step in the logical
argument (your "ellipsis"), namely,

"_if that objection were valid_, why not ..."

Wayne
---
Wayne Leman
Bible translation site: http://www.geocities.com/bible_translation/
Bible translation discussion list website:
http://www.egroups.com/group/bible-translation