[b-greek] ellipsis in Rom 3.8

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Mon Dec 11 2000 - 22:43:40 EST

> > "_if that objection were valid_, why not ..."
>
> Yes, I think something like the above gives the sense in English. What I
am
> looking for, though, is the verb (including mood) and any modifiers in
> Greek. I am diagramming Romans in Greek, and so want to add the ellipsis
in
> order to achieve coherence in the diagram.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Steve

OK, Steve, let's try again, same author, Ellis Deibler, different book, one
which diagrams all of Romans according to the semantic relationships in the
Greek. Title: A Semantic and Structural Analysis of Romans (1998, SIL,
Dallas, available from the SIL website cited in my previous message). I
think it is a little too complicated and lengthy for me to give the entire
background of the logical section, Rom. 3:1-8, but maybe I can give enough
so that it is closer to what you need. The books uses English words, but the
diagramming analysis is based on the relationships in the original Greek.

Page 85:

    "The 3:1-8 paragraph contains a set of four objection-REFUTATION units.
The _objections_ are ones Paul anticipates Jews might make as an outcome of
his exposition of the spiritual state of the Jews. These four sets provide
relational coherence to the paragraph. Lexical coherence is seen inthe
references to truth (vv. 4 and 7) and falsehood (vv. 4 and 7)."

I should mention that Semantic Structure Analysis (SSA) is based on a theory
that a finite set of semantic relationships (these are listed and described
in the theory, and in the preface to each SSA volume) can account for the
relationships between all propositions, and the relationships among the
higher level discourse units created by the lower-level relationships among
the propositions.

The final objection-refutation pair of the section Rom. 3:1-8, according to
Dr. Deibler, is 3:7c-3:8f. Diagrammatically, the objection has below it a
grounds *(3:7c: God should no longer condemns me on account of my having
sinned, a strong rhetorical question introduced by TI) linked to a purpose
(3:8c in order that a good think like that will result, i.e. that people
will praise God). Within the grounds-purpose relationship there is a
conclusion means, which has an implicit (your ellipsis) condition (3:8a If
what you say is true) and and consequence (3:8b let us do evil things).

Directly below the refutation is the relationship of contrast to nucleus,
where the contrast has below it the relationship of result to means. The
result is 3:8d Some people revile me, and the means is 3:8e by their falsely
saying I declare such thnings (8b-c). The nucleus is 3:8f God will
fairly/justly condemn people who say such things about me.

If this is not too confusing, perhaps you can reconstruct the SSA diagram
(if not, let me know, and I can scan the diagram for you and email it to
you).

Of course, for your own diagram, you will want to substitute Greek for the
English here, and will want to note, using your own style, the particular
Greek conjunctions and other morpho-syntactic devices that mark the various
semantic relationships, such as the hINA that marks the purpose relationship
in 8c.

I hope this helps more than confuses,
Wayne
---