[b-greek] Rendering PRWTH as "earlier" in Luke 2:2

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Tue Dec 12 2000 - 17:31:19 EST

<x-flowed>

This quote may be of interest:

A fragment stone discovered at Tivoli (near Rome) in A.D. 1764 contains
an inscription in honor of a Roman official who, it states, was twice
a Governor of Syria and Phoenicia during the reign of Augustus. The name
of the official is not on the fragment, but more than likely, based on the
accomplishments listed, is Quirinius. (paraphrased, John MacArthur)

I take this only that Quirinius was possibly a governor twice.

Now concerning Luke 2:2

hAUTH APOGRAFH PRWTH EGENETO
hHGEMONEUONTOS THS SYRIAS KURHNIOU

Here is my question:

Assuming the CT is correct, how about a construct that
would closely (not exactly) look and function like:

i) a Pendent Nominative for hAUTH APOGRAFH, and
ii) taking PRWTH with the Gen. Absolute (somehow??)

yielding something close to:

This Census: was when Q. was FIRST Governor of Syria.

Or, if the MT text is correct, we would not need a
Pendent Nom. idea, since the article would allow an attributive use.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson