[b-greek] Re: Rendering PRWTH as "earlier" in Luke 2:2

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Wed Dec 13 2000 - 00:44:08 EST

On 12/12/00 4:31 PM, Mark Wilson wrote:

> Assuming the CT is correct, how about a construct that
> would closely (not exactly) look and function like:
>
> i) a Pendent Nominative for hAUTH APOGRAFH, and
> ii) taking PRWTH with the Gen. Absolute (somehow??)

I think it is virtually impossible to take APOGRAFH as a pendent nominative
here. A pendent nominative, though grammatically independent and therefore
not the *syntactical* subject of the sentence, *is* the *logical* subject.
It "hangs" at the beginning of the sentence and is replaced in the sentence
by a pronoun in a different case, as required by the syntax (see Jn 1.12;
7.38; Rv 2.26; 3.12, 21). I don't see any of the features of a pendent
nominative in Lk 2.2, although Luke does use the pendent nominative in Lk
21.6 and Ac 7.40. A comparison of these texts with Lk 2.2 will, I think,
illustrate the difference of syntax.

Steve