[b-greek] Re: Facsimile of Robertson's Grammar

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed Dec 20 2000 - 21:30:21 EST

on 12/20/00 3:06 PM, One of the McKays wrote:

> What, then, is your grammar of choice, Clay, or should I know by now?
> David McKay

David,

This is sort of like asking someone what brand of Expresso they make their
lattes with. It is mostly a matter of personal taste. I currently have about
a dozen local brands of expresso beans locally available since Seattle
considers itself (wrongly) the latte capital of the world.

My favorite grammar is now Accordance. I like to roast my own. When I am too
lazy to use Accordance I use H.W. Smyth (first) followed by BDF, SE Porter,
M. Zerwick, AT Robertson or Moulton/Turner. I leave Wallace up at the
library for other people to use (a personal sacrifice for the greater good
of the regional library patrons of which there are several million).

A lot of the questions that come up in my current study are not addressed in
grammars. A fair percentage of them cannot be answered using Accordance
either.

I have been reading Levinsohn* on and off for nearly a year now and the
people he talks about like Simon Dik, Talamy Givon and Robert E. Longacre.

I think people should use the grammars that they find helpful for their
study. That is the main criteria I use. If it answers my questions, I use
it. If not I don't.

Clay

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*Levinsohn, Stephen Discourse Features of New Testament Greek, 2nd Ed.
 SIL 2000.