[b-greek] IDIOMS

From: Steven Craig Miller (scmiller@plantnet.com)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 08:50:54 EST

<x-flowed>
To: David McKay,

<< What books do you consider are the best for helping us to get a feel for
Greek idioms? What would you buy if you could only buy one or two? Thanks
for your input. >>

Grammarians use the term "idiom" in two different ways. (1) An idiom
consists of two or more words, but which functions grammatically very much
like a single word, so that a person cannot predict the meaning on the
basis of adding up the meanings of the constituent parts. (2) An idiom can
also refer to the various patterns of usage of the Greek language.

To my knowledge, there are two books with the term "idiom" in their titles.
There is: (a) "An Idiom Book of NT Greek" by C.F.D. Moule and (b) "Idioms
of the Greek NT" by Stanley E. Porter. Both these books might better be
classed as intermediate grammars, they are NOT about idioms as defined
under #1 above. To my knowledge, there are no books solely on the subject
of idioms (as defined under #1).

-Steven Craig Miller
Alton, Illinois (USA)
scmiller@plantnet.com