[b-greek] Re: Negative particle -> EWS hOU

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Sat Dec 23 2000 - 18:12:22 EST

Clay,

Although I haven't made up my mind as to whether McNeil's rule is truly
universal (since I would definitely need to study the issue further), I
would like to make some observations on some of the texts you proffered as
exceptions disproving the contention.

> L. Morris cites A.H. McNeil (Matthew, London 1915) in a footnote saying
> that in the New Testament the negative particle followed by hEWS, hEWS hOU,
> or hEWS hOTOU "always implies that the negatived (sic) action did, or will,
> take place after the point of time indicated by the particle."

> If you apply McNeil's rule to Matt 12:20 you end up with a very humorous
> result. The Messiah ends up breaking bruised reeds and quenching smoldering
> wicks.

If we follow strictly the three variations you list above before the quote
of McNeil, this may not be an exception. Note that you list "hEWS, hEWS hOU,
or hEWS hOTOU." If we take "hEWS" strictly as hEWS *alone*, then Mt 12.20
isn't an exception, since there we find hEWS AN. It seems probable that hEWS
on its own is intended, since the other two variations have hEWS with the
adverb hOU and pronoun hOTOU (using Accordance designations).

> Matt 5:18 is a little more questionable, perhaps the rule works here or
> perhaps it doesn't.

The above comments would apply here as well.

> Rom. 11:8 also looks like a possible counter example.

I don't think Rm 11.8 can be adduced as an exception either. Here the
negative particles modify infinitives in epexegetical phrases that modify
the nouns OFQALMOUS and WTA, rather than modifying the main verb EDWKEN. And
hEWS is an improper preposition in a prepositional phrase modifying EDWKEN,
which, as I said already, is not itself negated by the particles.

> There are undoubtedly more that I did not find.

That may be true. I'll take a wait-and-see attitude and look forward to
additional input concerning this issue.

Steve