[b-greek] DIA in Rom 14:20 and BDAG

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Thu Dec 28 2000 - 13:30:08 EST

Dear b-greekers,

Some of you have received the new BDAG for Christmas. Could you assist me with a
query?

The various German editions of Bauer, including the Bauer-Aland sixth edition
from 1988 that I am currently using, list the use of DIA in Rom 14:20 under A
III c as accompanying circumstance. The English editions list the passage at the
same place: DIA, A 3 c.

However, there is a significant difference in the suggested translation. Bauer
translates DIA PROSKOMMATOS ESQIEIN as "mit Anstoss, mit Bedenken essen" which
in English means something like "to eat while taking offence at, with scruples".
Bauer apparently understands the passage to say that it is the one who eats who
feels the scruples or takes offence at the action. This is the interpretation
prevalent in German and Scandinavian Biblical scholarship as exemplified in the
various published Bibles in those languages.

BDAG translates the same phrase as "eat with offense (to the scruples of
another)". This is not a translation of Bauer, but a re-interpretation. It seems
to me that this re-interpretation goes beyond the function of DIA as describing
an accompanying circumstance and well into the function of EIS (resulting in
offence to another person.)

Is there a list somewhere in BDAG indicating such radical changes from the
German editions of BAUER? Does anyone have a good defence for BDAG as opposed to
the original Bauer? Or shall I read the English BDAG with scruples from now on?
(I own an earlier version, but it is out of my reach at the moment.)

Sincerely,

Iver Larsen
Kolding, Denmark
alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org