[b-greek] Re: Imperative of OIDA and EIMI

From: Stephen C. Carlson (scarlson@mindspring.com)
Date: Mon Jan 01 2001 - 11:37:13 EST

At 07:58 AM 1/1/01 -0600, Carl W. Conrad wrote:
>They are identical in spelling and pronunciation; only the context will
>clearly distinguish their usage. Originally, to be sure, they were
>different, but loss of weak consonants (digamma in the case of OIDA, sigma
>in the case of EIMI) has led to their identity of form and pronunciation:
>(note that here W represents Digamma, normally represented by F)
>
>OIDA: WI-DQI --> WIS-QI --> ISQI (D of root WID assimilated to Q)
>EIMI: SIS-QI --> IS-QI --> ISQI (root of EIMI alternated btw/ SE and ES;
>what's probably happened in this instance is vocalic assimilation between
>the E and the I of QI; and of course you can tell that this is mere
>guesswork, very possibly wrong).

Sihler, NEW COMPARATIVE GRAMMAR OF GREEK AND LATIN (New York: Oxford,
1995), § 496.2 (p. 553) writes: "G I)/SQI is an enigma. . . .
The undisturbed outcome should have been G *E)/SQI. The question of
how attested I)/SQI arose has no answer, but even so that is an
easier question than WHY *E)/SQI would have been vulnerable to
replacement at all."

So it's a mystery why the EIMI form is ISQI and not ESQI.

Stephen Carlson
--
Stephen C. Carlson mailto:scarlson@mindspring.com