[b-greek] Re: Imperative of OIDA and EIMI

From: Sylvia Schmitz (Sylvia.Schmitz@t-online.de)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 05:27:15 EST

Carl W. Conrad schrieb:
> At 1:39 PM +0100 1/1/01, Sylvia Schmitz wrote:
> >Dear B-Greekers,
> >
> >while studying Machen (Paradigms p.250-251 - § 602 and 603) I wondered
> whether
> >the imperative forms of OIDA and EIMI 2. Singular Imperative Indicative are
> >identical:
> >ISQI.
> >
> >Nor in Lesson 28 neither in Lesson 33 there is a hint, that this form is
> >identical.
> >
> >Could someone answer this question for me?
>
> They are identical in spelling and pronunciation; only the context will
> clearly distinguish their usage. Originally, to be sure, they were
> different, but loss of weak consonants (digamma in the case of OIDA, sigma
> in the case of EIMI) has led to their identity of form and pronunciation:
> (note that here W represents Digamma, normally represented by F)
>
> OIDA: WI-DQI --> WIS-QI --> ISQI (D of root WID assimilated to Q)
> EIMI: SIS-QI --> IS-QI --> ISQI (root of EIMI alternated btw/ SE and ES;
> what's probably happened in this instance is vocalic assimilation between
> the E and the I of QI; and of course you can tell that this is mere
> guesswork, very possibly wrong).
>
> --
>
> Carl W. Conrad
> Department of Classics/Washington University
> One Brookings Drive/St. Louis, MO, USA 63130/(314) 935-4018
> Home: 7222 Colgate Ave./St. Louis, MO 63130/(314) 726-5649
> cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
> WWW: http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/

Thank you for this reply. When I asked this question, I didnot expect such an
interesting reply. While I did my studies as a graduate translator, I studied a
lot about exactly this context. So far, I didnot think about the fact, that
in New Testament Greek, the same principles are to be found as in the transition
between Latin and Italian.

Sylvia Schmitz

Sylvia.Schmitz@t-online.de
Mainz, Germany