[b-greek] EPI as "near"

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 00:08:41 EST

<x-flowed>

Mark 2:26

EPI ABIAQAR ARCIEREWS

This problematic phrase is partly the subject of a recent article at
bible.org by Dr. Wallace. Concerning the use of EPI + the Gen., the
following is footnoted:

-----
The NET here is bolder than the NIV which implies a broader chronological
timeframe: "In the days of Abiathar the high priest," even though the Greek
most likely cannot be taken so broadly. And even the REB has "in the time of
Abiathar the high priest." The NET Bible, in this instance, is identical to
the NRSV’s rendering, even though fidelity to the meaning of the text is
problematic for many evangelicals.
-----

The NET's translation of this verse is:

"how he entered the house of God when Abiathar was high priest and ate the
sacred bread"

I certainly do not want to make light of this article, but is not EPI used
quite often to
denote "near" or "in proximity to" something? And if so, why do we not
simply understand
priest"?

In other words, I do not see how we get "when" out of EPI in this context.

Assuming that Ahimelech was indeed the high priest at the time of this
incident, would not
EPI be a likely candidate to indicate a time "close or near to" the
incident? I am not suggesting
that EPI is the most likely candidate, but certainly it is not a stretch to
see it as one
a Koine writer/speaker could have chosen.

Perhaps Christ, who spoke these words (per Mark), thought that relating this
incident to a time near the time of Abiathar was equally significant (for
reasons unknown to us). Surely Abiathar was alive during this incident
recorded in 1 Samuel, although he was not functioning as high priest yet.

Thank you,

Mark Wilson