[b-greek] Re: article beginning a clause (DOCH NOCH EINMAL)

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 06:57:28 EST

At 7:42 PM -0500 1/2/01, Moon-Ryul Jung wrote:
>Carl,
>[Moon]
>Thanks for this example,
>
>PROS ALLHLOUS
>> GAR DIELECQHSAN EN THi hODWi TIS MEIZWN.
>
>It answers my first question. So, the TO is not needed
>to make a clause a noun clause. But you seem to say too much when you
>say:
>
>> Use of the TO serves no function further than
>> to MARK what is already a noun clause of indirect question AS a noun clause
>> of indirect question.
>
>Of course, the TO marks the clause as a noun clause. But it seems to be a
>side effect of the TO, whose intended purpose is to mark what is known
>AS KNOWN. If the idea of the clause had not been common among the people,
>the writer would not have used the TO in front of the clause.
>Assume that the idea of the clause had not been common among the people.
>If the writer had wanted to mark the clause AS a noun clause by using the
>TO, he would not have done it because it had the side effect of
>marking the idea of the clause as KNOWN. This side effect was not what
>the writer wanted.

Alex Hopkins has already commented on the evident preference of Luke (or,
as they prefer to express it on Synoptic-L, GLk) for marking noun clauses
with an article. But I might add, if Moon insists that all such instances
should be understood as "well-known" TOPOI KOINOI, I should think this is
one conceivable ground for thinking that Luke's version must be later than
Mark's: Luke uses this TOPOS again in [his] version of Jesus' discourse to
the disciples at the Last Supper (22:24ff.), and again the phrase, worded
differently this time, is marked with the article: 22:24 EGENETO DE KAI
FILONEIKIA EN AUTOIS, TO TIS AUTWN DOKEI EINAI MEIZWN. Here FILONEIKIA is
found where DIALOGISMOS was in the other pericope, and we have DOKEI EINAI
as the link between TIS (AUTWN) and MEIZWN. I wouldn't think it a matter of
question, however, that the very same tradition of a dispute over rank
amongst the disciples is in play in the two Lucan passages.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu