[b-greek] Re: NET Bible, . . yawn

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Wed Jan 03 2001 - 16:00:35 EST

At 8:56 PM +0000 1/3/01, Mark Wilson wrote:
>Gollie gee...
>
>I kind of like the NET Bible. It has gobs of information
>in the footnotes. Not bad for a translation.
>
>I did suggest to Dr. Wallace et al that they avoid the problem
>of the N in NET. I got a lengthy response, but
>was unable to follow their reasoning.
>
>Doeseth anyone owneth a KJV Bibleth? In 1611 it was "new." Of course, now
>you can buy a New KJV.
>
>For the life of me I can not figure out why the NET Bible Committee has
>chosen to create an on-going problem.
>
>The solution is rather simple. Here is the title I suggested:
>
>The "2000 NET Bible" (for the printed editions)
>
>Six years from now, release the "2006 NET Bible" (for the printed editions)
>and so no. At least this way the N makes some sense.
>
>For the internet site, which is frequently updated, why not call it the
>"On-going NET Bible" or "Current NET Bible."
>
>Come to think of it, my NKJV is getting kind of "old." :o P
>
>In fact, is my NIV still new? (I could probably check the small print on the
>inside cover to see if it is.) Some of you probably have an old NIV and
>others may have a newer NIV.

I've just rejected for distribution to the list a question regarding the
NIV translators on grounds that it's raising questions that are not proper
concerns of this list but rather of the B-Translation list. I really think
that the concerns of this thread are way out on the fringes of our proper
subject matter. It's easy to fault ANY translation for how it does one or
another item, but discussion of the merits or demerits of versions as a
whole is something best taken to another venue, I think. Please?

Co-Chair, B-Greek List