[b-greek] Re: Phil. 3

From: Steve Lovullo (SLovullo@etcconnect.com)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 09:04:47 EST

At 10:47 PM -0600 1/4/01, Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote:

> >> TOU GNWNAI AUTON
> >> KAI THN DUNAMIN THS ANASTASEWS AUTOU
> >> KAI [THN] KOINWNIAN [TWN] PAQHMATWN AUTOU
> >> SUMMORFIZOMENOS TWi QANATWi AUTOU
> >> EI PWS KATANTHSW EIS THN EXANASTASIN THN EK NEKRWN

> I learned to call an accusative subject of an infinitive quite simply
> "accusative subject of an infinitive" and have always used the term
> "accusative of respect" for an accusative used "epexegetically" as in one
> of my favorite lines of Sophocles--what Teiresias tells Oedipus on
> departing from him:

Yes, I agree with you in calling it an "accusative subject of an
infinitive." I mentioned "accusative of respect" because many still use that
explanation and terminology.

> I haven't checked out the Wallace on this particularly, but although I
> think he's generally right on most things, I really don't like his
> idiosyncratic use of terminology or tendency to invent new grammatical
> categories.

Wallace would agree with you that it is best to think of this accusative as
an "accusative subject of an infinitive." I also wanted to add something to
my comment to Mark that the accusative associated with an infinitive isn't
necessarily the subject but may be the object or even an adverbial
accusative. It is that when the infinitive is copulative, an accusative noun
may be a predicate accusative.

> I would agree with this understanding, that it clarifies adverbially
GNWNAI
> AUTON, but being clear also that it is in agreement with the subject of
> KERDHSW, which is, of course, carried forward implicitly into the
> subordinate clauses that follow--it's just that KERDHSW is the last verb
> that explicitly stated that first-person subject.

Yes, that is important to consider in the construction of the sentence.

Steve Lo Vullo
Madison, WI