[b-greek] Interlinears, Analyticals and E- Bibles

From: clayton stirling bartholomew (c.s.bartholomew@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 13:29:21 EST

You know if find it rather amazing that the same sort of people who think
that use of an Interlinear GNT or an Analytical Greek Lexicon is highly
counter productive to learning biblical Greek, these same people will
embrace with complete and unguarded enthusiasm the Electronic Bible
technology which in fact is nothing more than an Interlinear raised to the
Nth power.

To the avid defenders of the NET bible including the associate editor, I am
sorry that you seem to have totally missed the point of my two posts. If
perhaps you had viewed this as a discussion of the impact of information
technology on the learning process for students of Biblical Greek and
biblical studies in general, you would not have gotten your feathers
ruffled.

As I said previously, E-Bibles are a major benefit in the form of
convenience. Their strong suit is ease of use. But when serious thought is
replaced with a mouse click on a hyper link, serious thought will cease. The
E-bibles give you a hardwired, preprogrammed solution to questions about
everything from morphology to exposition. The fact that they are hard wired
and preprogrammed results in a short circuiting of the analytical process
which should be a part of doing research in the GNT and LXX.

Over 30 years ago Marshal McLuan* told us that TV was changing the way we
think about everything. Well E-Text is a lot like TV, it radically reduces
the level of cognitive processing required for the study of ancient language
texts like the GNT or LXX.

The E-Bible like TV is here to stay. But the use of the E-Bible will come
with a price and most people will pay the price without even being aware
that they received the bill. This is what happened with TV.

So we will all continue to use our E-Bibles, I am not going to uninstall
Accordance from my Mac. But I am going to use E-Bibles with caution. I am
not going to be mouse clicking my way through the GNT or LXX.

--
Clayton Stirling Bartholomew
Three Tree Point

*For all practical purposes I stopped watching TV in '68 after reading
Understanding Media by Marshal McLuan. 30+ years of not watching has
produced some curious side effects, like having time to read books.