[b-greek] RE: Interlinears, Analyticals and E- Bibles

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Fri Jan 05 2001 - 21:48:48 EST

At 5:53 PM -0500 1/5/01, Jonathan Robie wrote:
>At 12:22 PM 1/5/2001 -0800, clayton stirling bartholomew wrote:
>
>>It would appear that everyone on this list simply thinks this is an exercise
>>in fuddy-duddyism. I find this kind of strange. It isn't fuddy-duddyism to
>>simply understand the impact that E-Bibles are having on the study of
>>biblical languages.
>
>Electronic resources for Greek certainly helped me to learn how to
>understand what I was reading. They still help me to verify that a verb
>form really is what I think it is. And they really help me associate
>different kinds of resources.
>
>People misinterpret Greek, whether in electronic form or paper. Electronic
>Bibles make Greek more accessible to people, so that more people can
>correctly interpret it and more people can incorrectly interpret it.
>
>It would be interesting to see some real studies that demonstrate the
>effect that electronic resources have on comprehension when used in various
>ways. But exchanging off-hand opinions about that is (yawn) boring....

I checked out Dan Wallace's article that Eric Weiss called attention to
yesterday at

        http://www.bible.org/docs/soapbox/net/innovations.htm

and found it very interesting and positive (IMHO) in its implications for
the favorable impact of technology on Biblical studies, the speed of
interaction with significantly relevant sources of information bearing upon
the "probable" right meanings of a text. I DON'T think context is in the
least bit ignored in the NET editorial work, if that article is adequately
representative of what's going on in the project as a whole. I now want to
go and check out Rod Decker's article, the PDF which I've just downloaded.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu