[b-greek] Star of Bethlehem

From: Will Wagers (hyle@e-denton.com)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 10:18:19 EST

<x-flowed>
There is a discussion on a history of astronomy group about the star
of Bethlehem. The ground alternates between the textual and
astronomical considerations.

In According to Matthew 2.1 (RSV), we have:

"Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of
Herod the king, behold, wise men from the East came to Jerusalem, saying,
"Where is he who has been born king of the Jews? For we have seen his star
in the East and have come to worship him."

Can "wise men from the East" mean "wise men arriving from the East"
or "arriving wise men who are Easterners" or both?

Can "we have seen his star in the East" mean that "we were in the East
when we saw his star" or that "his star was in the East when we saw it"
or both?

According to Matthew 2.9 : "When they had heard the King they went their
way; and lo, the star which they had seen in the East went before them."

Again, does this mean that "they were in the East when they saw it" or
that "it was in the East when they saw it" or?

Can "went before them" mean only that the star moved towards the West
as they moved westerly, in effect, leading them?

Thanks for you help on behalf of our group.

Will Wagers "Reality is the best metaphor."