[b-greek] Re: Roots

From: Kevin W. Woodruff (cierpke@prodigy.net)
Date: Sat Jan 06 2001 - 12:15:29 EST

Daboberta:

The suffix -ine is from the Middle English which is from the Middle French,
which is derived from the Latin suffix -ina meaning "belonging to, or
characterized by."

The word Philistine means "belonging to [the land of] Palestina. Palestine
was named after one of the tribes of the Sea Peoples called the PRST
(through an orthographic change this would be changed to PLST) who settled
in that area/the Sea Peoples came from Crete and tried to settle in Egypt
but were repelled by Ramesses III ca. 1190 B. C. They then settled along the
coast of what today is called Palestine.

Kevin

At 06:25 PM 1/5/2001 -0800, you wrote:
>Can someone help me understand what the root "tine" in philistine means?
>Whether in Latin or Greek or both.
>
>Thanks
>Dagoberto Garcia
>

>---