[b-greek] Synonyms

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 11:03:34 EST

<x-flowed>

AGAPAW
PHILEW

This argument is from an analogy in English, but it is how I tend
to think of "synonyms."

First, an example without a context:

I hate baseball.

Or, notice this statement without a context:

I despise baseball.

In English, these could be thought of as synonymous statements if
they were both used in isolation from each other.

But, everything changes when I put them together:

I hate baseball, and I despise football.

Here, I have a stronger dislike for football than baseball. But the only
way to understand that is if they are used in the same context.

To me, there needs to be a distinction between synonyms
IN THE SAME CONTEXT and synonyms in DIFFERENT,
UNRELATED CONTEXTS, as the above English examples suggest.

I would therefore pose that Greek is the same way.

"I AGAPAW my job" might NOT be distinguished from "I PHILEW my job"
if used in different contexts. But once they are used in the same context,
it seems to me that this in itself eliminates the idea of "synonymous."

Now to John 21: Applying this overly simplistic "linguistic" approach, I
would think that the idea
of AGAPAW and PHILEW being synonymous would be eliminated since the
main topic is "love," in fact, more than that, it is about "degrees of
love."

My thoughts,

Mark Wilson