[b-greek] Synonyms

From: Wayne Leman (wleman@mcn.net)
Date: Sun Jan 07 2001 - 22:31:41 EST

> > In English, these could be thought of as synonymous statements if
> > they were both used in isolation from each other.
> >

> > But, everything changes when I put them together:
> >
> > I hate baseball, and I despise football.
>
> But it could be parallelism, as we find in the Bible, especially in the
OT.
> David McKay

English grammar with the above conjoined phrases and the conjunction "and"
does not have Hebraic synonymous parallelism. The above syntax in English
requires that the two terms refer to different entities or qualities. This
is one of many differences between the syntaxes of Hebrew and English.

If my understanding of English grammar is correct here, field testing among
a good number of If of fluent speakers of English will confirm that these
speakers regard "hate" and "despise" to be non-synonymous here. The field
testing is easily done. Just ask a question like:

"How does the person who said this feel about baseball and football?"

In English we can *sometimes* get a synonymous parallel meaning if the
conjunction "and" is omitted and it is clear that the other two terms of the
couplet are synonymous, hence:

"I hate baseball,
I despise it."

might be interpreted as synonymous parallelism by some English speakers, but

"I hate baseball,
I despise football"

would not be parallelism since the 2nd and 4th terms are not synonymous.
Only the verbs here, that is, the 1st and 3rd terms of a parallelism, have
the potential of being interpreted as synonymous.

Wayne
---
Wayne Leman
Bible translation site: http://www.geocities.com/bible_translation/