[b-greek] Re: some questions about Rom 3.27

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Mon Jan 08 2001 - 11:30:41 EST

[Steve]> Hi all

> Rom 3.27: POU~ OUN hH KAUCHSIS; EXEKLEISQH. DIA POIOU NOMOU; TWN ERGWN;
> OUCI, ALLA\ DIA NOMOU PISTEWS.
>
> I have several questions about the above sentences that I hope someone can
> help me with.
>
> The first has to do with the inferential conjunction OUN. It is normally
> used to draw an inference from what precedes. But how would you describe its
> usage when it marks a rhetorical question, as above? What is its rhetorical
> function in such a case?

[Moon]
The preceding paragraph claims that the righteousness of God is revealed
apart from the Law (3:21).
Upon this premise (OUN), that is, if this is the case, where is THE
boasting? (3:27)

It seems that the usage of OUN is wider than to draw an inference from
what precedes. OUN seems to mean "relative to what precedes" or "
based on what precedes". So, any types of setences, e.g. questions,
commands,
can come after OUN.

> Second, I have been diagramming Romans in my (not so) spare time and
> customarily compare my results with a set of diagrams I have on Romans that
> have been prepared by someone else. (This often helps me to discover
> mistakes I've made.) I had diagrammed hH KAUCHSIS as the subject of an
> elliptical ESTIN. The diagram I checked it against had hH KAUCHSIS as the
> predicate nominative of an elliptical ESTIN. I have studied in the past how
> to tell the difference between a subject and predicate nominative when there
> are two choices actually present. But what about when there are not two
> actual words to choose from? Grammars speak of the "preparatory use of
> 'there,'" but this seems to be more of a way of expressing the thought in
> English than dealing with whether a word is the subject or predicate
> nominative in the Greek. When I check grammars and other syntactical aids
> they sometimes disagree as to whether a word in this type of case is a
> subject or predicate nominative with no clue as to how they arrived at their
> decision. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to tell whether a word is
> the subject or predicate nominative when you do not have two actual choices
> in the text?

[Moon]

You have two choices from which to choose the subject or predicate, that
is,
POU and hH KAUCHSIS.

> Third, the diagram I consulted had POU~ as the subject. I have seen in the
> past people propose adverbs or prepositional phrases as a subject or
> predicate of a verb rather than a modifier of a verb. Is it technically
> correct to take an adverb or prepositional phrase in this way? And how would
> one know when to do so? I'm not talking about cases where the adverb or
> prepositional phrase are clearly functioning as substantives, as when an
> article is attached.

[Moon]
(By the way, what is "predicate of a verb"? )

In POU hH KAUCHSIS, POU is indefinite whereas hH KAUCHSIS is definite.
In this pattern, the definite part is the subject and the indefinite part
predicate, at least typically. I am not sure if there are no
counter-examples.

> Fourth, how would you describe the function of OUCI? Is it absolute, perhaps
> functioning as an interjection, or does it modify an elliptical EXEKLEISQH?
> The diagram I consulted had the former; I had the latter.

What is the difference?

Both can be paraphrased as follows:

[Is the boasting excluded] based the law of works?
No, but based on the law of faith.

[Is the boasting excluded] based the law of works?
[The boasting is] not [excluded based on the law of works],
but based on the law of faith.

To me, both are the same.

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung