[b-greek] Re: sorting out the slight distinctions of John 21 synonyms (per AGAPAO/PHILEO)

From: One of the McKays (musicke@ozemail.com.au)
Date: Tue Jan 09 2001 - 07:27:18 EST

Paul said:
> The theological problem is that we do not find men correcting Jesus in the
> Johannine writings, yet this is what you see Peter doing here.

Not at all, Paul.
Jesus: Do you love me?
Peter: I love you a lot
Jesus: DO you love me?
Peter: I love you a lot.
Jesus: Do you love me a lot?
Peter: grieved at being asked 3 times! Lord, you know all things ...

Makes perfect sense [unless your mind is already made up that AGAPAW
represents that special AGAPH love!]

However, in view of the fact that John has used the 2 terms interchangeably
throughout his gospel, it is clear that he is doing the same here!

The other way round makes no sense at all. It doesn't fit the character of
Peter. I can't imagine him telling Jesus he only loves him with a lesser
love!
David McKay
musicke@ozemail.com.au