[b-greek] Re: Emphatic expressions

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 06:21:34 EST

At 12:10 AM -0600 1/11/01, Steven R. Lo Vullo wrote:
>On 1/10/01 9:40 PM, Mark Wilson wrote:
>
>> Phil 4: 12
>>
>> OIDA KAI TAPEINOUSQAI
>> OIDA KAI PERISSEUEIN
>> EN PANTI KAI EN PASIN MEMUHMAI
>> KAI CORTAZESQAI...
>
>> In verse 15:
>>
>> OIDATE DE KAI hUMEIS, FILIPPHSIOI
>>
>> The commentary says that the KAI makes hUMEIS emphatic.
>
>I believe the KAI in question is adverbial ("also" or "indeed"), modifying
>OIDA. It is not KAI that makes hUMEIS emphatic, but the fact that hUMEIS is
>used when it is already implied in the verb. So the idea would seem to be
>"you yourselves also know" (NASB) or "you [yourselves] indeed know" (cf.
>NRSV). (I realize some of the translators out there will hate this mode of
>expression.)

I think rather that the adverbial KAI refers to the infinitives; adverbial
KAI generally precedes immediately what it refers to. As for EN PANTI KAI
EN PASIN, the very expression using the dative singular and then the dative
plural has the sort of rhetorical punch to it of "every day in every way"
except that it's not trite. And I think it's not the position of EN PANTI
KAI EN PASIN so much as the doubled expression itself coupled particularly
with that perfect tense form MEMUHMAI which suggests initiation into a
mystery cult.

>> I am not sure how many times Paul put words or phrases in
>> an "emphatic position," but according to this scholar, it was
>> quite often in this epistle.
>>
>> Although he mentioned this "emphatic" position often, I really
>> did not quite catch why it was noteworthy.
>>
>> In the above example (EN PANTI KAI EN PASIN), what does
>> this phrase being in the emphatic position actually mean?
>
>The writer probably came to this conclusion because EN PANTI KAI EN PASIN
>comes at the beginning of the clause, which is one way to indicate emphasis
>in Greek. But in light of the flexibility of Greek word order, my opinion is
>that resort to this explanation is often excessive.

Well, I don't know that I'd make such an assertion about Philippians more
than other Pauline letters; I'd say more simply that Paul is an expert
rhetorician and knows very well how to make powerful use of the language;
if I were writing a commentary on Philippians, I'd certainly want to call
attention to how he does it. I think that Paul's rhetoric is similarly very
powerful in the diatribe on SOFIA and MWRIA in the first four chapters of 1
        Corinthians.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu