[b-greek] Re: Mat 18:17 EKKLHSIA with def. article

From: Joshua840@cs.com
Date: Thu Jan 11 2001 - 20:38:54 EST

Hello, Mr Roe,

In a message dated 1/11/01 5:42:49 PM Eastern Standard Time,
d.roe@t-online.de writes:
>Dear B-Greekers,
>
>"EKKLHSIA," it seems, can refer to a smaller or larger assembly or
>even that body of all called-together ones (living and passed away).
>
>In Matthew 18:17 we read:
>
>EAN DE PARAKOUSHi AUTWN, EIPE THi EKKLHSIA
>
>I wonder, does EKKLHSIA here refer to a group within the local
>congregation called to assemble? Or, as I think the use of the article
>implies, does it most likely here refer to the whole local assembly?

Well, here goes. ;-)

While the individualizing article distinguishes or identifies a particular
object belonging to a larger calss, the generic article distinguishes one
class from another. This is somewhat less frequent than the
individualizing article (though it still occurs hundreds of times in the NT).
It categorizes rather than particularizes.

Matt 18:17 estw soi wsper o eqnikoV kai o telwnhV
Let him be [with reference] to you as the Gentiles [as a class] and
the tax-collector [as a class].

That's my two cents.

In His Grace,

Michael R. Finney