[b-greek] 1 Pet 1:1 Datives in apposition?

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 08:01:29 EST

Dear Jim,

I take that back. The NIV treats the terms as appositives. The KJV and HCSB
could treat the adjective as a modifier, but they separate it from the
noun. The ASV almost treats "elect" as the governing noun. The Greek,
however, works perfectly well with "elect" is an adjective modifying
"strangers."

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard

 I am just beginning my Syntax studies in Greek and have a simple question
about 1 Pet 1:1. Are the words EKLEKTOIS PAREPIDDHMOIS in apposition?.
I am understanding EKLEKTOIS to be an adjective and PAREPIDHMOIS to be a
noun, but the modification seems unnecessary and leads to questions about
how PARAPIDHMOIS could be related to the rest of the clause- especially
hAMATOS. The second part of my question is probably not as simple: If
these words are in apposition, what is the relationship of them to KATA
PROGNWSIN, etc? How do I understand and describe this relationship? Are
both datives related to/dependent on (what would be the word?) KATA
PROGNWSIN QEOU? I am beginning to use Porter and Wallace and if there
are sections that will supplement your answers please direct me to them.