[b-greek] Re: Phil. 3:8 - two questions

From: Mark Wilson (emory2oo2@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 12 2001 - 10:09:53 EST

<x-flowed>

Kimmo:

You wrote

------
>The passive deponent seems to work fine with KOINH, but in Classical
>Greek the verb occurs in all three voices. Active meaning is to inflict
>loss (or to fine). The passive voice seems to me more suitable for Phil.
>3:8 than the middle, because Paul is not inflicting any loss on himself,
>but rather expressing willingness to receive any (passive) for a greater
>purpose. If there is something anomalous with this use of passive, it
>seems to have more to do with the volitional element, not why the middle
>is not used.
-----

I wonder if this "out of the box" thought is suitable for helping me
distinguish the Middle and Passive senses.

Could we understand the Middle as we understand a "purpose clause" and
understand the Passive as a "result clause." That way, the Middle reflects
the subject's "volitional choice" while the Passive reflects a "completely
passive" concept. Hence,

As Middle (purpose), Paul chose or purposed to suffer loss

As Passive (result), (as a result of his decision) Paul received loss

This would also include "awareness." As a Middle (purpose), Paul was
cognizant of the implications of his decision. As a Passive (result), the
results would befall Paul, even to the extent that he would be unaware of
the implications of his past choice.

Any thoughts...in or out of the box :o )

Mark Wilson