[b-greek] Re: Meaning of the perfect tense

From: Steven R. Lo Vullo (doulos@chorus.net)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 03:20:56 EST

On 1/14/01 12:48 AM, Mark Wilson wrote:

> I think your comments here about the prep. phrases are both correct and
> incorrect. When you say that the prep. phrases do not describe "states" but
> "motions," I think this is correct. But we do not have prep. phrases used
> independently here; they are part of a larger syntactical structure, and it
> is in this structure that the prep. phrases combine with other grammatical
> features to communicate a more complex concept than just a prep. phrase "in
> a vacuum."

I far from suggested that the prepositional phrases should be viewed
independently or in a vacuum. My point was that the idea of motion in the
prepositional phrases of the disputed text is better associated with the
completion of the act of movement than with the existing result. It is not
the modification by the prepositional phrases of the existing result that
produces the transfer from death to life! Rather, it is the modification by
the prepositional phrases of the perfect verb as viewed at completion that
produces the existing result of having passed from death to life.

Steve Lo Vullo,
Madison, WI