[b-greek] Re: EKKLHSIA

From: Cindy Smith (cms@dragon.com)
Date: Sun Jan 14 2001 - 13:54:43 EST

>From: MX%"a_b_thomas@yahoo.com" "Alan B. Thomas" 14-JAN-2001 10:52:51.75
>To: MX%"b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu"
>Subj: [b-greek] Re: EKKLHSIA

>Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 07:50:17 -0800 (PST)
>From: "Alan B. Thomas" <a_b_thomas@yahoo.com>
>Subject: [b-greek] Re: EKKLHSIA
>To: Biblical Greek <b-greek@franklin.oit.unc.edu>

>> > It was natural for Jesus to transfer this word to
>> the Church, God's new
>> > congregation.

>> I agree with Harold's response, which addresses the
>> appropriateness of
>> EKKLHSIA's use. Still, the question remains why it
>> was chosen over the
>> alternative word, SUNAGWGH.

>D.W.

>Could it be because SUNAGWGH was almost universally
>thought of as a Jewish word, while EKKLHSIA enjoyed a
>universal, non-Jewish connotation of a gathering of
>people united by membership?

>I would think that in the first century, SUNAGWGH
>would bring to mind a Jewish worship place, while
>EKKLHSIA would bring to mind a picture of a gathered
>people, regardless of their national affiliation.

>Since the new church was not a "Jewish" thing,
>EKKLHSIA to me seems like the likely choice. Having
>said that, I do think that SUNAGWGH could have been
>used, since the church was not opposed to using Jewish
>terminology. But in the dominant Greco-Roman world, I
>think EKKLHSIA did not carry any "baggage."

I do not believe that the word SUNAGWGH was automatically associated
with a Jewish place of worship. Indeed, SUNAGWGH often referred to
Roman and Greek gatherings of various kinds, including pagan
gatherings of worship. This is why the New Testament often,
especially in Acts, uses the phrase TAN SUNAGWGHN TWN IOUDAIWN
(Jewish synagogue) to distinguish it from other types of synagogues.
Sometimes just the word synagogue is used when it is clear from the
context that a Jewish synagogue is meant.

>Alan B. Thomas

>"Just think how fast lightning would be
>if it didn't zigzag."

Cindy Smith Spawn of a Jewish Carpenter
GO AGAINST THE FLOW! \\ _\\\_ _///_ // A Real Live Catholic in Georgia
cms@dragon.com >IXOYE=('> <`)= _<< "Delay not your conversion
cms@romancatholic.org// /// \\\ \\ to the LORD, Put it not off
cms@5sc.net from day to day" Ecclus/Sira 5:8