[b-greek] Re: future indicatives as imperatives

From: Jeff & Brandie Green (rjgreen@alumni.uwaterloo.ca)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 10:53:20 EST

Bart & others,
    First, a "hello, all" - I'm new to the list :)

Bart Ehrman wrote:
> lot of them use the future indicative. Some are quotations of the LXX.

    One thing I always found helpful in translating from the LXX (or its
quotations) is to look at the Hebrew. If I remember right, negative
imperatives in Hebrew look the same as negative imperfects ("future"),
and if the prohibition is 'permanent', the negating word is even the
same (lo' instead of 'al). So, someone translating, say, the ten
commandments into Greek (or English, for that matter) would have to make
a choice between the future indicative or the imperative.
    I'd ask myself what's the natural, everyday way to express the text
in English; after all, the original (Hebrew for the LXX quotes) reads as
natural, everyday (biblical) Hebrew (or did to its original readers).
As for the parts that aren't LXX quotations, or the positive commands
expressed as futures, I can't say anything with certainty.
    So, I wouldn't use "shall" in a translation (into modern English,
anyway :) After what Larry said, I'd even stay away from "do not"; I'd
go with "don't" or "never".
--
Jeff Green
Attawapiskat, Canada