[b-greek] RE: Is the GNT complete... for now?

From: Vincent M. Setterholm (Vincent@zeteotech.com)
Date: Tue Jan 16 2001 - 19:54:30 EST

The NA27 only lists a fraction of the textual variants extant in the NT
manuscripts. A new edition (Novum Testamentum Graecum Editio Critica
Maior)is under way that will have a greatly expanded critical apparatus.
The Book of James is the only fascicle published so far.

Beyond the issue of variant catalogs, there are still questions regarding
the quality of the text as it has been edited. Books I've found useful in
learning about how our current edition has come to be include Aland's Text
of the New Testament and Metzger's The Text of the New Testament It's
Transmission, Corruption, and Restoration, as well as Metzger's A Textual
Commentary on the Greek New Testament.

For an opposing viewpoint, I just ordered Clarke's Textual Optimism: A
Critique of the United Bible Societies' Greek New Testament. It has not
arrived yet, so I cannot review it.

As far as pronouncing Novum Testamentum Graece, the Latin pronunciation I
learned has the o as in focus, the u close to the oo in food, but closer to
the French pronunciation of u, a like father, e as the a in fate, ae as the
ai in aisle, and c is hard, like a k.

Peace,
V. [Vincent M. Setterholm]
[Mod. note: new list-members PLEASE use full-name signature]