[b-greek] AIONIAN ZOE

From: Blair Neil Davis (bndavis@wenval.com)
Date: Wed Jan 17 2001 - 02:51:07 EST

First I would like to say hello to the people on this list. I just
subscribed and have read several of the posts. Congradulations on the kind
mannor of discussion this list seems to maintain.

I have never had any formal training in NT Greek. I have been using
lexicons and comparing the use of Greek words in the NT using my
Englishmans Concordance.

This works well in most cases but I am having some trouble with
conflicting evidence on how AIONIAN ZOE can be translated. As I understand
the term it means exactly what the KJV translates "everlasting life".I am
finding some scholars that want to translate AIONIAN ZOE as "life of the
age [to come]". I am trying to find someone to explain this conflict at a
beginners level that I can understand.

Question;
1. Is "life of the age" a possible translation for AIONIAN ZOE?

2. Is "of the age" a way of making AION into an adjective?

3. How would "of the age" normaly be written in Greek.

4. Is AIONIAN a word that deals only with matters concerning the age to
come?

I have more questions but that is enough to get started. I hope I have
posted this in the format sugested by the rules and apologize for any
mistakes. Thanks for any help in advance.

Blair
[Blair Neil Davis]
[mod. note: New members: PLEASE use full-name signatures at
bottom of your messages. cwc]