[b-greek] Re: Phil. 4:13

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 08:05:11 EST

At 6:48 AM -0500 1/18/01, Lew Twist wrote:
>In the referenced verse, our Brother Paul uses the word
>ENDUNAMOVTI and the analysis is Part., Present, ACTIVE, Dative,
>Masc., Singular. Now, if I've been correct in following the
>thinking on the list regarding aspect and nesting, I'm
>presented w an anomaly. Intrinsically the verse makes perfectly good
>sense until you consider the nesting concept
>inherent in the root DUNAMOW, meaning to be made strong enought
>from some source outside of your own resources-a passive concept.
>However, our Brother uses the active voice as if to
>imply a sort of co-operative effort between himself and the
>One Who endues. Why the active voice? Why introduce the
>tension between the root and it's extended use?

Text: PANTA ISCUW EN TWi ENDUNAMOUNTI ME.

I don't know what the problem is here, really; I make out ENDUNAMOUNTI here
to be causative and so would convert it in English to "enabling me" or "who
enables me" I don't really see what nesting has to do with this
either--this is a present participle used substantivally; I would
understand the enabling as an ongoing process and the main verb ISCUW is
also present and imperfective.

Here's Louw & Nida:

74.6 DUNAMOW; ENDUNAMOW: (derivatives of DUNAMAI 'to be able,' 74.5) to
cause someone to have the ability to do or to experience something - 'to
make someone able, to give capability to, to enable, to strengthen, to
empower.'
DUNAMOW: EN PASHi DUNAMEI DUNAMOUMENOI KATA TO KRATOS THS DOXHS AUTOU v
'being strengthened with all power according to his glorious might' Col
1:11.
ENDUNAMOW: PANT ISCUW EN TWi ENDUNAMOUNTI ME 'I can do all things by the
one who makes me able' or 'I am able to face anything by the one who makes
me able (to do it)' Php 4:13; ALL' ENEDUNAMWQH THi PISTEI 'but he was
enabled by faith' Ro 4:20.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/