[b-greek] Re: PASAN THN PISTIN

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 08:47:29 EST

> Dear Iver,
>
> I was following you comments well until I hit:
>
> >In English, you can say "the good men", "the ten good men", "all the

> good men"
> >and "all (the) ten good men", but you cannot say "the all good men" or
> >"the all
> >souls". You can say "the whole group of souls". I am not sure if English
> >allows
> >"these my good men". If not, the possessives should be included in the
> >determiners. So for English, we could posit an order like
> >S-QUANT+DET(+POSS?)+W-QUANT+ADJ+NOUN.
>
> I cannot guess (it is early in the morning) what S and W represent. Could

> you please tell me and let me feel embarrassed? Thanks.

Sorry I wasn't clear, even though it is mid afternoon here. I wanted to
distinguish between the Strong QUANTifiers (S-QUANT) like ALL and the Weak
QUANTifiers (W-QUANT) like MANY, because in English the strong comes before the
article which comes before the weak. "All the good questions" versus "The many
good questions." This is not standard terminology, since I just made it up
today, and this particular distinction is not relevant for Greek.

Just for the fun of it I was checking whether MANY occurs before of after the
noun or the article. For the plural hOCLOI the modifier POLLOI always follows,
probably because if the word for crowd is in plural there is already focus on
the "manyness" in the crowd. If the singular hOCLOS occurs, then POLUS may occur
before or after the noun. They are at the same level of semantic prominence, so
it doesn't make much difference which comes first. The occurrence of the article

is not relevant for the relative position of head noun and modifier. It has
other functions in the discourse.

Iver Larsen
Kolding, Denmark
alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org