[b-greek] Re: Rev 14:11 - EIS AIWNAS AIWNWN

From: Roe (d.roe@t-online.de)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 10:05:59 EST

Regarding anarthrous plural EIS AIWNAS AIWNWN in Rev 14 I had wondered:

> What is the reason for this anomaly? I don't know of any change in the
> meaning of EIS AIWNAS AIWNWN due to its unique anarthrous plural form.
> Is there?

Hi again,

After noticing in the Prayer of Azariah 1:68 (LXX Daniel 3:90) a case of
the expression with singular accusative followed by plural genitive...

"...hOTI EIS TON AIWNA TO ELEOS AUTOU KAI EIS TON AIWNA TWN AIWNWN"

   ... I now have an enquiry of a more general nature re an AIWN-AIWN
construction.

I wonder whether the expression means simply "age of ages" or "ages of
ages" (an age or ages superior to all other ages) in the same sense as
"BASILEUS BASILEWN" or "KURIOS KURIWN"; and thus, while not denying
eternity, not describing eternity specifically.

Thanks again,

David

D.W. Roe
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany