[b-greek] Re: PASAN THN PISTIN

From: Daniel Riaño (danielrr@retemail.es)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 11:01:21 EST

<x-flowed>
>Actually, I have to confess I was being facetious there; I think that the
>distinction between attributive and predicative positions of the adjective
>is not so simply a matter of what's taught in the U.S. but of traditional
>Greek grammar in most parts of the world;

        The main terminological exception being France, where the
adjective placed within the article and the noun (Engl. *attributive
position*) is called *'epith`ete* and the adjective placed outside
the article and noun (engl. *predicative position*) is called
*attribute*. There are several, well known restrictions and
conditions for the placement of a few words like, i.a. "PA=S". [both
questions in Biraud, Michèle. 1991. La determination du nom en grec
classique. Publications de la Faculté des Lettres et sciences
humaines de Nice. Nice]
        As CWC wrote, this syntactical phenomenon is of course a most
important distinction for whoever is learning Greek.