[b-greek] Re: Rev 14:11 - EIS AIWNAS AIWNWN

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Fri Jan 19 2001 - 19:52:28 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ben Crick" <ben.crick@argonet.co.uk>

> IMHO, it has become a set-phrase Doxology. Compare the
> Latin "per saecula saeculorum, Amen" formula, often recurring in the
Latin
> liturgy.

Dear Ben,

Thank you for the Hebrew connections and all the references in the Psalms.
Your opinion on this is a sound one. This is the text of the Doxology in
common use throughout all Orthodox Churches that have Greek as there source
of Liturgy.

DOXA PATRI KAI GIW KAI hAGIW PNEUMATI,
KAI NUN KAI hAEI KAI EIS TOUS AIWNAS TWN AIWNON. AMHN

I am a cantor in the Slavic Orthodox tradition. I was told that this
Doxology came from the Hebrew practice expanded with the Trinitarian
statement. This Doxology appears frequently in our Liturgical services.
The entire Psalter is read every week in monastic practice, twice a week
during the Great Fast. The Psalter is divided into twenty equal parts, each
part divided into three stations, each station ended with the singing:

Doxology
Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia. Glory to You O God (Three Times)

The standard English translations render this two ways:

Glory to the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, now and forever and to
the ages of ages. Amen

Glory be to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, now and ever
and forever. Amen.

The first is more literal, but both convey the essential idea of eternity.
I have always liked the ring of "ages of ages". It kind of captures the
idea of eternity in a poetic way.

Steve Puluka
Chair of the Adult Education Committee