[b-greek] Re: Rev 14:11 - EIS AIWNAS AIWNWN

From: Steve Puluka (spuluka@hotmail.com)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 07:15:56 EST

----- Original Message -----
From: "Carl W. Conrad" <cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu>

> One factor that might play a role in the phrase EIS AIWNAS AIWNWN is the
> conception of cyclical time that dominated most ancient thinking about
> time, at least in the Mediterranean.
> more from the primal water and the cycle begins anew. If one thinks of
> "forever" as the infinite continuation of the cyclical time periods, the
> phrase EIS AIWNAS AIWNWN is perfectly intelligible--and it could, as a
> phrase, influence "Jewish" thinking as an expression even if the user of
> the expression did not really conceptually share that notion of cyclical
> time.

This is very interesting. Could you suggest and reading material on this
concept. I was also taught (and teach) that our Liturgical celebration is a
series of three over lapping cycles of time. The daily, the weekly and the
annual. The daily cycle keyed to the sun provides a series of services that
walk us through different aspects of our prayer life. The weekly is based
on the creation cycle, both Genesis and the New Creation in the
Resurrection, each day of the week is dedicated to a different aspect both
beginning and ending with the Resurrection on Sunday. The annual cycle
walks us through salvation history each year.

I have taught this over the years, in fact this form the basis for two of
the six lessons in one of our classes on Liturgics, "Light For Life, The
Mystery Celebrated". I had always assumed we inherited this cyclical
thought from our Jewish forebears.

Steve Puluka
Chair of the Adult Education Committee