[b-greek] RE: Rev 22:1-2

From: Harold R. Holmyard III (hholmyard@ont.com)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 12:30:46 EST

Dear Moon,

You wrote:

[Moon]
The idea of a river running through the WIDE street (PLATUS) of the city
seems likely to me.

Let's just say that I have never seen such a thing to my knowledge. Nor I
do suppose that such a thing occurred much in the ancient world. A real
river running through a street? Any river of good size would be wider than
a wide street. Of course, it is possible. Since the river goes out from the
throne, it could still be small while in the city, as Ezekiel 47 depicts.

[Moon]
 We can understand CULON in a generic way.
Then the idea of multiple trees on either bank of the river makes sense.

It is possible, but the Jews spoke in terms of the tree of life. It did not
disappear after Genesis but reappeared in intertestamental literature.

Also, John uses the term "tree of life" in the rest of the book with the
definite article (Rev 2:7; 22:14, 19). Perhaps as the well known "tree of
life" it did not always need to have the article with it. This point needs
more research.

[Moon]
But foremost, if we put EN MESWi THS PLEITEIAS AUTHS to verse 1, then
we can respect the pattern that John often introduces a new idea by KAI,
as some indicated on this thread.

Yet it is not essential that KAI start a sentence. It is true that many of
the surrounding sentences begin with KAI, but many sentences in Revelation
do not. So this seems an inadequate measuring stick of the verse division
in my opinion, unless other, more weighty reasons fortify this reason.
Revelation 21:7-8, 11-13, 19-20 do not start with KAI. And a sentence in
21:6 does not start with KAI. In Revelation 22, verses that do not start
with KAI include 11-16, 18, 20-21, besides verse 2.

I was hoping for a bit of interaction over the interpretation of the phrase
EN MESWi. If it means "between" in Rev 22:2, could not the phrase be
"between its street and the river"?

                                Yours,
                                Harold Holmyard