[b-greek] Re: Predicative/attributive - position and function

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 19:28:24 EST

Carl revealed a very interesting observation:

I've sometimes wondered (but
this is purely speculative on my part) whether, when we say (e.g.) EKEINOS
hO ANHR HSPASATO ME, are we then offering TWO predications about hO ANHR:
(1) he greeted/welcomed me (HSPASATO ME), and (2) he is somewhat distant
from me. Can the linguists enlighten us? I really have only observed this
this behavior of the demonstratives and the demonstrative pronouns.

[Moon]

Surely EKEINOS hO ANHR HSPASATO ME offers us two descriptions about hO
ANHR, but at different levels or means: one by NP (EKEINOS hO ANHR)
and the other by VP (HSPASATO ME).
Even though NP "EKEINOS hO ANHR" looks like
a complete sentence unlike NP "hO KALOS ANHR", it is still
a NP. In fact, even NP "hO KALOS ANHR" is derived from "KALOS hO ANHR".
KALOS, which was predicative in KALOS hO ANHR, is now attributive
in hO KALOS ANHR. Similarly, EKEINOS, which was predicative in
sentence EKEINOS hO ANHR, is attributive in NP EKEINOS hO ANHR.
Why EKEINOS is placed differently from KALOS in NP should be explained.
But the terminology of "predicative/attributive position"
does not seem to help in this regard. The fact is that both EKEINOS and
KALOS are attributive in NP.

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea