[b-greek] Re: BDAG at Rv 3:14 - Christ was the first creation now probable

From: Wes Williams (WesWilliams@usa.net)
Date: Sat Jan 20 2001 - 20:07:11 EST

> Has anyone been making note of changes from BAGD to BDAG?
>
> I just noticed on page 138 that the interpretation that ARXH means that
> Christ was created at Rv 3:14 has been upgraded from poss. to prob.

Dear Dan,

Thank you for sharing this update. One clue may be in the BAGD/DBAG
reference itself. It cites the JTS article "Christ as ARCH of Creation,"
by C.F.BURNEY, JTS XXVII. Burney considers the Hebrew ReSHit [beginning]
in detail and concludes strongly against ARCH as "source":

"Another New Testament allusion to Prov. viii 22 in reference to Christ is
found in Rev. iii 14 H ARXH THS KTISEWS TOU QEOU, [the beginning of the
creation of/by God] a title of the risen Christ which Dr Swete and Dr
Charles have not a shadow of authority for limiting in meaning to 'the
Source of God's Creation'. There is every reason to suppose that ARXH is
here used with all the fullness and meaning which St Paul extracts from
ReSHiT ... "

The BAGD/BDAG reference also cites Job 40:19 ARCH, speaking of Behemoth (a
hippo?) "He {is} ARCH [a beginning, first] of the ways of God". Behemoth
was not the source or "first cause" of God's ways, but rather was one of
them, or a partitive genitive.

Although the reason for the update is not explicitly stated, further
contemplation of this article may have influenced the update. The primary
meaning of ARCH at Rev. 3:14 admits that Christ is a part of creation. It
is for theological considerations that "source" and "first cause" are
translated for ARCH, as Alford's admits:

"The mere word ARCH would admit the meaning that Christ is the first
created being; see Gen [49].3; Deut. [21].17; and Prov. [8].22." -
Alford's Greek New Testament." This is not Alford's personal belief and so
Alford borrows extra-biblical meanings for ARCH from Wisdom and The Gospel
of Nicodemus but at least he admits doing so. His admission as to what is
motivating him is enlightening, refreshingly honest and notably absent
from most theological commentaries on this verse.

Sincerely,
Wes Williams