[b-greek] Re: Jn 13:10; NIYASQAI

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 09:01:11 EST

At 7:47 AM -0800 1/21/01, dixonps@juno.com wrote:
>Carl:
>
>Have any idea why the NAB renders it passively? Are they just mistaken,
>or can the middle form properly be rendered passively?

If you'll look back at my original response, Paul, I think I said this is a

matter of putting it into the more natural expression in English--and
that's true even for a version that tends to be more "formal equivalence"
than "dynamic equivalence."

As I said, a more wholly literal version would be: "Jesus
says to him: 'The one who has been cleansed doesn't have need to wash
himself except for the feet, but is clean altogether, and you are clean,
but not all of you.'" But "wash himself" is NOT natural English, hence the
transformation in most English versions (if not all of them) into the
passive. That does NOT mean that the translators have misunderstood the
Greek.

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu
cwconrad@ioa.com
http://www.artsci.wustl.edu/~cwconrad/