[b-greek] Re: Predicative/attributive - position and function

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 18:53:14 EST

Carl wrote:
> Even
> if I concede that Iver's formulation adequately describes the phenomena of
> placement of adjectives relative to noun and article in noun phrases (and
> I'm halfway willing to do so), I still think that it's easier to explain
> the basic positioning of KALON TO hALS, TO hALS KALON, TO KALON hALS and TO
> hALS TO KALON as well as of PAS hO KOSMOS or hO KOSMOS PAS or hOUTOS hO
> ANHR or hO ANHR hOUTOS by using the terminology of "attributive position"
> and "predicate position" rather than to lump them all together as NP's and
> sort out the different meanings of all these NP's in terms of where the
> adjective or demonstrative or quantitative word stands in any particular
> NP.
[Moon]

Carl,

But what can we gain by saying that PAS in NOUN PHRASE
PAS hO KOSMOS is in a predicate position? I guess that PAS is
called that way because its position relative to the noun
is the same as the position that KALON has
relative to the noun TO hALAS in SENTENCE KALON TO hALAS.
But PAS is not a predicate in the noun phrase. If you call
the position of some constituent "predicate position"
when that constituent is not a predicate, it would be
confusing.

I learned several foreign languages, but never heard of
"predicate position" in relation to noun phrases.
I wonder why understanding Greek noun phrases needs such a notion?

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung
Associate Professor
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea