[b-greek] Re: why I'm in Irkutsk

From: Carl W. Conrad (cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu)
Date: Sun Jan 21 2001 - 20:26:17 EST

At 5:42 PM +0300 1/21/01, Steve Godfrey wrote:
>Dear Carl,
>
>I'm here as the director of a charitable foundation which is involved in
>micro-enterprise development. I also do a significant amount of pastoral
>training on the side. My wife Heather and I have lived here the last five
>years. We have two sons named Nate (4) and Karcher (3). Siberia, and area
>bigger than the U.S., does indeed have a long history as a place of exile
>and imprisonment, but it is also very beautiful, and filled with adventure
>for the hearty of soul. However, this winter has been brutal, with the
>coldest temperatures in 50 years, to -50 Celsius. We count it a great
>privilege to live and work here and have developed a real love for Russian
>people as well as their rich history, literature, and culture.
>
>With regards,
>
>Steve Godfrey
>Irkutsk, Siberia

Thanks for the explanation, Steve; I was myself curious indeed, but I posed
my question openly on the list because I thought others on the list might
also be interested, and for that reason I'm cc'ing this TO the list. Of
course I never imagined that you were there in what Dostoyevsky calls "the
penal colony" but it must indeed be a wildly beautiful area and clearly you
and your family are hardy adventurers; you must love it to have stayed
there this long. I guess your winter has barely begun to show its worst.

Best regards, Carl

cwconrad@artsci.wustl.edu