[b-greek] Re: Predicative/attributive - position and function

From: Moon-Ryul Jung (moon@saint.soongsil.ac.kr)
Date: Mon Jan 22 2001 - 20:02:43 EST

> [Iver]
> > > How could the default
> > > order DENDRON KALON be made specific by use of the article? The
> > obvious thing to
> > > do is to repeat the article before the adjective to indicate that
> > in this case
> > > the adjective is part of the NP, so we get
> > > TO DENDRON TO KALON for "the good tree".
> > >

> > [Moon]
> > How does repeating the article before the adjective indicate
> > that the adjective is part of the NP?

[Iver]
> We are moving along well. Will you be asking your questions one at a time?
> Before I try to answer your question, which is not easy, would you try to answer
> mine: How else could the default order of the NP: DENDRON KALON be made specific
> by use of the article, when you cannot say TO DENDRON KALON and still keep it as
> one NP? Nor can you say TO KALON DENDRON, because then it would no longer be
> unmarked in relation to emphasis.

[Moon]

Let me ask two questions first.
1)
Should TO KALON receive more emphasis than TO DENDRON
when we consider TO KALTON an apposition to TO DENDRON?
If so, it is contrary to the implicaiton
of TO DENDRON TO KALON which does not put emphasis on KALON, and
my analysis is wrong. But if we think that the apposition between
the two NP is very weak, my analysis makes sense.

2)
DENDRON TO KALON is also possible, and seems to be less specific than
TO DENDRON TO KALON. If we think one as " a tree, i.e. the good one" and
the other as "the tree, i.e. the good one", the degree of specificity can
be explained. If we consider TO KALON to directly modify DENDRON, TO in
front
of DENDRON seems redundant.

Moon
Moon-Ryul Jung