[b-greek] Rom. 1:7

From: Michael Luper (mluper@emmanuel-college.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 07:57:10 EST

In looking at the translations and commentaries regarding Paul's salutation
in Rom. 1:7, I notice that it is always translated in such a way that Grace
and Peace come from both God and Christ. The Greek construction appears to
support a reading that could see Grace and Peace coming from God who is our
Father as well as the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ. This idea of God
being the Father of Christ is certainly a Pauline concept (Eph. 1:3), and I
am wondering why the translations and commentaries don't even note this
possibility. Any ideas?

Michael Luper, Ph.D.
Assoc. Professor of Bible and Greek
Emmanuel College