[b-greek] Re: BDAG at Rv 3:14 - Christ was the first creation now probable

From: Rolf Furuli (furuli@online.no)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 16:40:23 EST

Mark Wilson wrote:

>Charles:
>
>You wrote:
>
>---------
>>Any thoughts on the use of the genitive THS KTISEWS in Rev 3:14 (hH ARCH
>>THS
>>KTISEWS TOU QEOU)? Possibly objective, He begins God's creation? This could
>>significantly affect the way we interpret hH ARCH.
>--------
>
>I notice you give THS KTISEWS a verbal idea (he begins) in your question. hH
>ARCH as "begin" or "beginning" when used of an individual seems odd to me. I
>guess I see this as simply: the ruler of God's creation. (How about for hH
>ARCH we translate it "the initiator" of God's creation.)
>
>And yet, do we ever find the concept of "coming into being" (as in "being
>born") when KTISEWS is used in relation to A SPECIFIC INDIVIDUAL, as opposed
>to creation in general?

Dear Mark,

We should remember that Paul and others were Jews and often used Jewish
therminology. For instance, when Paul in Col 1:23 used the expression PASHi
KTISEI, he evidently used a very common Hebrew idiom which often is found
in the Mishna and Rabbinic literature. The noun is BERIA or BERIYYA
"creation" which comes from BARA (to create). The word is used for the
creation of Adam and Eve, so there is no problem of using it for a specific
individual (See M. Jastroww "A Dictionary of the Targumim, Talmud Babli,
Yerushalmi and Midrashic Literature, p 193). The question about the meaning
of the genitive construction is therefore interesting indeed.

Regards

Rolf

Rolf Furuli
University of Oslo