[b-greek] Re: BDAG at Rv 3:14 - Christ was the first creation now probable

From: GregStffrd@aol.com
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 23:22:10 EST

In a message dated 01/23/2001 11:41:43 AM Pacific Standard Time, CEP7@aol.com
writes:

<< Any thoughts on the use of the genitive THS KTISEWS in Rev 3:14 (hH ARCH
THS
 KTISEWS TOU QEOU)? Possibly objective, He begins God's creation? This could
 significantly affect the way we interpret hH ARCH.

 Charles E. Powell, Ph.D. >>

Dear Charles:

Such a suggestion would seem to give hH ARCH the verbal idea of "beginning,"
depicting Christ as the 'beginner' of God's creation. This would seem to
assign a creative role to Christ in this verse, which, to me, does not seem
to fit well with the idea expressed in TOU QEOU.

It seems as if you are suggesting something like, "[Christ is] the beginner
of God's creation." But as with the use of AUTOU in Col. 1:15-18, QEOU seems
to speak of someone other than the one denoted by the head noun, in this case
ARCH.

So, I don't find the that idea of Christ as the 'beginner of the creation
[that] God [created]" works very well. But if you could show an implicit
verbal idea for ARCH in other uses of the term, I would be open to it.

Best regards,

Greg Stafford