[b-greek] Re: dangling dative...

From: Iver Larsen (alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org)
Date: Wed Jan 24 2001 - 03:58:37 EST

 Gal
> >2:20
>
> EN PISTEI ZW THi TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU TOU AGAPHSANTOS ME KAI PARADONTOS
> hEAUTON hUPER EMOU.
>
> If you've been following the discussion about "predicate position" and
> "attributive position" and have been able to make any sense of it, the
> argument about "attributive position" applies here: everything following
> THi is made an attribute of PISTEI by it; I have argued, though others
> aren't very comfortable with it (in fact, they don't like it at all!) that
> the easiest way to understand the entire phrase following that THi is to
> consider it as appositional to PISTEI; that way we get: "I live by faith,
> (namely) the faith of the son of God who loved me and gave himself up for
> me."

Carl, I don't think we are far apart in basic concepts, maybe just in
terminology.
I agree that THi marks TOU hUIOU TOU QEOU as attributive to faith. In the same
way TOU marks AGAPHSANTOS ME etc as attributive to TOU hUIOU (TOU QEOU). I
noticed that you translated TOU before AGAPHSANTOS by "who".

It is simpler for me to think of these as rankshifted relative clauses like
English:
"I live in (the kind of) faith which is of the son of God who loved...".

But I think there are cases where I would be hard pressed to choose between an
apposition and a rankshifted relative clause. Rev 1:5 was one such example.

Iver Larsen
Kolding, Denmark
alice-iver_larsen@wycliffe.org